Personal Information Personal collected by Sunshine Coast Independent Living Service Inc. (SCILS) is protected by the Privacy Act 1988 (the ‘Privacy Act’). Personal information is any information that can be used to identify you and includes sensitive health information.
SCILS follows the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 2012 in handling personal information from clients/beneficiaries, business partners, donors, members of the public and SCILS’ staff (including members, volunteers, employees, delegates, candidates for volunteer work and prospective employees).
The primary purpose for collecting personal information from you is to provide disability services to people in need, including planning, funding, monitoring and evaluating our services. The kind of personal information we collect will depend on your relationship with SCILS (e.g. as a client or beneficiary, employee, volunteer, business partner, donor, member, or on line user-of SCILS’ website).
We usually collect personal information directly from you. However, we sometimes collect personal information from a third party such as your carer, trustee or authorised representative or from a publicly available source, but only if:
- You have consented to such collection or would reasonably expect us to collect your personal information in this way, or
- if it is necessary for a specific purpose.
We only collect personal information for purposes that are reasonably necessary for one or more of our functions or activities.
Your personal information may be used to:
- provide you with a service
- provide you with educational information on disability care and awareness
- report to government of other funding bodies
- process your donation and provide receipts
- communicate with you about how your donation is used or about SCILS’ services, causes, events, which we believe may be of interest to you
- respond to your feedback or complaint
- answer your queries
It may also be used for:
- any other purpose for which it was requested and which was advised to you
- directly related purposes.
Please be assured that wherever possible SCILS uses information in a de-identified form. Personal information will not be disclosed to third parties without your permission, except where permitted or required under the Privacy Act.
We take steps to protect all personal, sensitive and health information and government related identifiers held by SCILS against misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
You can access the personal information that we hold about you, and you can ask us to correct the personal information we hold about you. For more information, see “access to and correction of personal information” section of our policy.
If you are listed on one or more of our email lists you can opt out at any time.